Mathematics is an important and creative discipline that helps us to understand and change the world. At The Hill Primary, we want all pupils to experience the beauty, power and enjoyment of mathematics and develop a sense of curiosity about the subject.
We believe all children can achieve in mathematics. By using a mastery approach to teaching mathematics, we aim to instil a deep and secure understanding of mathematical concepts and provide challenge through rich problems before acceleration through new content. Pupils will confidently use equipment as regular practise in their learning.
We aim for all pupils to:
- Become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics so that they can recall and apply knowledge rapidly and with accuracy
- Solve a variety of problems including those in unfamiliar contexts and real-life scenarios
- Reason mathematically by following a line of enquiry and develop a justification , argument or proof using mathematical language
- Have efficient methods for mental and written calculations
- Use equipment confidently to support their learning
At The Hill, we use the White Rose Mastery planning materials as the basis for our Mathematics planning. A CPA (concrete, pictorial, abstract) approach is used to support pupils learning.
For more information about our curriculum please contact the office on firstname.lastname@example.org